- Factory Fabricated Components
- A/M/E/P/FP Services
- Study, Programming, Master Planning,
Design, Construction Documents through
- Modular and Expandable with Operational
- 3,000 sf raised floor area
Design Innovation Establishes a New Topology of Data Centers
Fidelity Investments | Centercore™ | Raleigh/Durham, NC
Like most corporations, Fidelity Investments has difficulty projecting future data center capacity requirements and they typically over built data center infrastructure to mitigate the risk of not having data center capacity availability when needed. To eliminate this problem, the undertook a study to evaluate alternative approaches to delivering data center space. Their team evaluated the typical alternatives including colocation and other outsourced options. However, they kept coming back to the idea of a truly modular data center that could be built in a factory and assembled where and when they needed capacity. This approach gave them tremendous tax advantaged as a modular data center could be treated as equipment for depreciation purposes and the mobility of the solution allows them greater flexibility in taking advantage of tax incentives offered by various government agencies.
The challenge facing the Fidelity team was that all of the solutions available in the market did not meet the “must have” requirements for a data center established by the internal client. These minimum standard stated that any proposed solution must include the following as a minimum:
- BE IT equipment agnostic.
- Allow power density flexibility.
- Have traditional raised floor with a minimum 24” height and 30” preferred
- Support overhead cable tray and possibly multitier tray
- Have the flexibility to use different cooling systems to promote energy efficiency in any geographical location.
- Have the flexibility to use any mechanical or electrical equipment vendor with each new build.
- Have the ability to compatibly bid the construction for each new build.
In short they wanted all the benefits of a traditionally built data center with all of the advantages of a modular facility.
With these marching orders ID Designed Centercore ™. Centercore is the name Fidelity gave to the modular data center designed by ID. The flexible concept allows Fidelity to deliver IT capacity whenever needed in 500KW or 1MW blocks in less than six months from the decision to go. Once delivered to the site each build is installed in one to two weeks
Fidelity Investments had estimated that this approach was saved $XXX in cost avoidance in the first year of implementation and the savings continue to grow.
ID owns the Centercore design and can work with others to implement the solution best for you.